Thursday, July 9, 2009

holding off


I see it in myself, I see it in my friends, and I see it in a lot of people around me. It is one thing for people to recognize and understand their own loves and passions, but there sometimes seems to be such a difficult transition between acknowledging them and actually tapping into them.

Most prominent in my life and I am thinking most easily held off for "another time, maybe a better time" is travel. I have such a love for new places and new experiences. I thrive on meeting new people and understanding new cultures. And in my life, I have been so fortunate to travel to incredible places. However since I have branched off from my life in Georgia and explored the western half of the country with my move to Boulder, I have really begun to understand just how much beauty there is in the world and even more so within the country.

However, I do find myself having all of these ambitions to travel and see exotic things, I have compiled a list of all of the things I want to do and experience, but am not actually letting them happen. I am letting "life" get in the way and am keeping practicality stand in the way of embarking on my adventures.

And I am scared by this fact. I have been wanting extensive travel for many years, and now I find myself at 24 wondering why I haven't done it yet. I have said no to the extreme spontaneity for the sole purpose of "it just isn't the right time now," or "I can't take off work," or "It is too much money." But at the end of my life, I don't want to have regrets, and I don't want to be hard on myself for holding off.

I have acknowledged my love for travel, and have taken the opportunity to embark on small road trips, camping trips, and day ventures, but I want to do more and see more. I feel that it is so crucial to know ourselves well enough to understand what moves us inside, but it is even more important to act on it. If you have the urges to travel, make it happen.

No comments: