Thursday, May 7, 2009

LeeStrong


Over the past couple of weeks, I have been introduce to Alan Lee's story through his brother and friend of mine Russ Lee. From the first moment I was informed of their journey I understood the courage and determination within Alan to tackle testicular cancer. It has made me think much about life and death and how we as humans I feel are just players within this big game of existence.

I am interested and curious (in an imaginative way) what exactly it is like to receive the kind of news that just reinforces your mortality as an individual. It makes me afraid. I can admit that life completely fascinates me. I feel like I am living this vibrant and expansive path that feels so good inside.

I meet new people every day, exchange common interests, see myself individuating from my upbringing and really starting to form those components within me that really make me who I am. I am discovering my place in this world, but still realizing that all of us have our specified time and then we pass.

What I do love and find special about those moments of receiving seemingly terrifying news regarding mortality is that right then and there is an opportunity to live more fully. For if you aren't confronted with the potential or prospect of death, then where is the need to take full advantage of the day? I have found that is the way that I approach it.

We were born and placed on this earth to come and go. We weren't meant to live forever, yet at the same time we are so terrified at the prospect of death. Do you think those fears come from the internal realization that you in fact haven't taken advantage of each day, and that you have coursed through your years just going through the motions? Very possible.

But Alan Lee hasn't become afraid. If anything he has become a fighter, a warrior and has understood this opportunity not as an opening for negative emotions to surge in (which they do so easily), but has more thanked the world for each day he is given. When I met him, he marveled at the day. He took it in stride. And he approaches each one with a similar stride.

He has created a beautiful following: LeeStrong. A gift in my eyes to everyone and an ability to open an eye to the world around us and understand our mortality as humans and our chance now to REALLY LIVE.

No comments: