Sunday, June 7, 2009

my friends...

You think of those people in your life who have nothing and give everything, who love the idea of service and progress through their day with a passion and respect for life and the people in it. There are only a handful of people in my life that I can safely say fit into this category. I have had the pleasure of knowing two of these three men in the picture, Micah Dash on the left and Jonny Copp in the center are dear friends of mine here in Boulder, CO.

Both incredible alpine climbers, Micah represented Mountain Hardwear and Copp Patagonia, and they scaled the most magnificent peaks in the world. They were driven yes by the adrenaline rush that accompanies sitting on top of the world, but also thrived on the simplicity of friends, family and community.

Today the news released that one of the climber was found and positively identified as Jonny Copp, who is a well respected and admired figure here in Boulder and all over the world. Each of my interactions with him further magnified his love of his life and the world around him. In everything he did, it was with everything he had. An incredible role model and source of appreciation for me.

As for Micah and Wade, the other two climbers who are still missing, I am smiling but also feel saddened. Smiling because those men were doing what they loved, smiling because they were in their element pursuing their love of climbing. I am saddened for those they left behind, the family members and partners, the friends and the community. I feel supported by the outflow of support and feel nurtured by the attention drawn to the search cause.

I am in remembrance today. Today I appreciate life. Today I smile in their memory.

No comments: