Friday, August 8, 2008

always wanting more...


Apparently the story of the four person family surviving on $50 of groceries per week in America isn't a lie. Can you imagine that? I am sure that most of the people here reading this blog are spending more than $50 a week on groceries just for themselves (or at least that was me for the last 4 years)...Thank God for BANQUET frozen dinners. They are a mother's best friend: a quick and easy dinner with the starch, vegetable and protein all in one frozen glorious plastic bowl.

Because of this financial burden, these families search around the local grocers to comb the aisles for circular deals...10 for $10, 2/$5.00, etc. But unfortunately with gas prices rising as they are, these families don't have the "luxury" of going to each grocery store. Now they have to bank on the fact that the one closest to their homes will in fact have the best deals. But here is where the story turns beautiful. For these families, they are content. They are satisfied with their state, well for the most part that is. Maybe it isn't contentment with the situation, but more acceptance . These families are genuinely willing to understand the present and adjust their mindset accordingly. They aren't dissatisfied with not being able to provide more, but more thankful that they can provide anything at all.

Why aren't the rest of us that way who can afford well over $50 in groceries per week for just a single individual? Why is it that with every aspect of life we are constantly dissatisfied with the present and always motivated toward bigger and better things? In a sense, this seems like it would be a positive. But think about all of the days and weeks that aren't appreciated for their own beauty because we are constantly future oriented. It is always about seeking out moving forward instead of priding yourself for the journey already traveled.

For me I absolutely had a really hard time striving for this mindset. My thoughts were constantly focused on how I could be making more money, making my life more comfortable, being able to provide more for myself. When really I feel like I should have given myself credit for supporting my own well being detached from the financial comfort of my father. But now I am aware that I have the opportunity to take one of two routes: accepting the present and being thankful for my own bounty, or ignoring it and using my energy toward motivation for bigger and better things. I honestly think I would choose the former, until it feels right for movement up.

So take those families of 4 and use them as a role model. Admire their ability to understand the work they can provide and the bounty they can allow themselves and their children to have. Apply that to your own life. Instead of maybe guilting yourself over not making as much money as your neighbor, feel so lucky that we have the ability really to live freely and without worry.

No comments: