Friday, August 22, 2008

my journey


So I have just started school again this past Monday. For the last 5 days, I have been IMMERSED in a setting that I thought I had no desire to re-enter. But here I am. And I have entered into one of the most amazing environments to my knowledge that exists. Naropa University is so unique in its ability to make every student feel as though they are fully supported, acknowledged, heard, appreciated and loved.

What I have learned over the last 5 days is that there are about 45 people who want something similar to myself: to dig deep, to learn as much as possible, to become true to myself, to understand the human condition, and to help those in need. There are incredible spirits in my presence.

It has made me more than anything appreciate where I am in my life right now. I am spending my days learning in the classroom, absorbing the theorists and their paths, and also finding so much more about myself. I love that I crave that right now, and love that I have reached a point of self actualization that pushes me harder to find truer meaning, and to be able to reach a deeper grounding with those around me.

But what I love most of all now, and I have been thinking about this for a few days, is where I went to get where I am today. I feel that so much of the time we are forever focused on the finish line, and (as a runner I'll use this analogy). When I am running, I do love seeing my house in the distance because it means I'll be finished soon, but I have grown to relish in the entire length of the exercise. It is so important to marinate in the journey that allows us to get where we are. We are going to be forever evolving yes, but it is so important to appreciate the pain and hurt, the anxiety and sadness, and the energy given.

For me, when I graduated nursing school, I wanted to forget about it. I never wanted to revisit my depression, I never wanted to think about being lonely for so long, I never wanted to feel insomnia again, and I absolutely never wanted to revisit The Medical College of Georgia's campus. Well, here I am telling you that I want to relive all of it. I want to do it because I feel as though going back and reflecting on your battles makes you empowered. It makes everything worth fighting for. But more than that, it humbles you.

Reflect on where you have been. Be humbled.

No comments: