Sunday, November 30, 2008

the world of feminism


I attended this fantastic live showing of a tv show that is in the process of broadcasting 6 pilot episodes with the ope and dream that hey will one day be part of mainstream television. Well, I went with one of my newest and dearest friends and our night consisted of remarkably good Thai cuisine, this live broadcast, and then wonderful wine and dessert. But I was reflecting on what was my favorite part of the show, and there was an interview portion of the hour long program where the host, Stuart Davis (google him...he's fantastic) actually brought his two daughters' godmothers to answer questions. And these two women, from the moment they walked up on the stage, resonated wisdom and knowledge.

So the topic of last night's discussion was Feminism. And really what Stuart Davis was hoping to get from these women was the role that feminism plays in each of us. He was discussing his own role in teaching his two daughters their place in this world and how to keep them from surrendering to the influences that society has placed on both men and women.

But the part that I loved the most was an opinion that there should be much more emphasis on teaching the importance of the realization to young women that there should be no reason to surrender in any form. There should be no point in a woman's life where she should ever feel as though succumbing to what men, society, and institutions desire is acceptable. One of the god mothers was so confident in her believing that every woman, no matter what age, has the power to say no. And that really got into me. I was reflecting while I was listening to these interviews and realizing that from a young age, I was shown how powerful I was as a woman. And I truly didn't realize how critical that upbringing was until I was seated in this audience and listening. Because it was at that moment, that I felt so comfortable in where I was as a woman.

But there is so much heat centered around feminism. I feel like the majority of people when they hear that word think of crusades and marches, fighting for the right to have a voice and the right to vote. But feminism isn't something that only lives in women. It is something that lives in men, but I feel as a culture men are afraid of letting their feminine edge be expressed. But I think men expressing these polarities allow themselves to be connected with women on a much more profound level. And this coin has two sides, because I feel as though it is critical as women to have our masculinities as part of our femininity.

Feminism for me today lives in the now. We are one of very few societies today where women are actually able to go anywhere in the country and say and do whatever feels natural. That in and of itself is empowering. So feminism for me right now is the feeling internally that I can be and do ANYTHING. It isn't about this in your face mentality of women reigning supreme and me feeling like it needs to blasted on the loudspeaker. It is about equality but keeping the internal fire alive. I am a strong woman with fierceness yet gentility. I really do believe that for me the best balance is allowing my feminine side to run the show, but keeping enough room for the bear in me. Maybe I am just a bear with a bow.

No comments: