Sunday, December 7, 2008

synchronicity


I have made a great new friend and is he in my program at school, but we have always kind of existed on the periphery of each other's lives, without really diving deeply into each others worlds. It has been interesting, and I love these kinds of friendships. For months, the two of us would kind of observe and admire one another, always deeply interested in what the other was thinking or doing at any given moment, or wondering what the other person's life consisted of outside of school.

Anyway, finally we decided to take the plunge and actually have a real full on conversation outside of school. It was huge. And it became confirmed why I am so intrigued by this person. He really is fantastic.

But we started getting on the topic of synchronistic experiences. And I really didn't understand what he meant by them, but after us dissecting what they were, I realized that so much of my life in the past few years has been filled with them.

Most profoundly have been the events after nursing school and before naropa university and everything in between. I realize that the string of processes that I went through in order to get to where I am today are touching for me because I feel like there were so many stepping stones.

Because I didn't pass my nursing board each time, I was forced after that last and arduous time of it to really take an opportunity to look inward. I was exhausted and truly disinterested in "overwhelming this one with hard work." It just was beginning to feel like there were things in my life for me other than nursing. All of a sudden, my contribution to society wasn't going to be at the bedside. And I was terrified of that. But this was my opportunity to do one of two things: I could have allowed myself to be terrified and feel it, or I could have tried with all of my might to avoid feeling it and make my place at the beside. I chose the former. So there was my first part in this synchronistic experience. I let life lead me.

And then I had my two roommates last year who did their undergrad at Naropa. And these are two of the most fantastic women I've ever met. So full of heart and spirit. And they introduced me to what Naropa taught them. And I didn't realize it at the time, but I was hooked. Hooked on the opportunity there for me to be expanded.

So I was looking on the internet a few months back, and stumbled on the program that I am now in. And in the description of what the Transpersonal Counseling Psychology degree, I felt that it was right. It was exactly what I was looking for. It found me. So a month or so after that I was having lunch with a friend, who was helping me sort out the dilemma of applying or not. It was a matter of having to potentially hae to take three prerequisites over the summer. Not enthusiastic about that. But she told me to try it, what was the worst that could happen? I listened. Two weeks later, I was in.

Synchronistic experiences are doubled sided. They are those developments in our lives that place experiences, people, etc in our path and it is just a question of what we do with those opportunities. I don't see it as coincidence, I see it as an element of fate. Not necessarily that someone of a higher power was leading me to Naropa, but through life...Naropa found me. And he I am, in a position that I never thought I would be in. So we must listen to what is placed in front of us, see and understand it, be open and willing to it, embrace it. I am thankful every day now that I was these things, because without it, I may still be trying to force a path on myself for someone else's sake.

No comments: