Tuesday, December 30, 2008

to the solstice


There are few people in this world who are able to be who they are in all essence: pride for personal accomplishment, recognition of weakness, humbleness with the world, victim of love's storm, and a relentless heart.

Adam Simon is this. A man who I met three weeks before his move from Boulder to New Haven has allowed me to become opened to my truest internal working. He and I have formed a bond that seems almost indescribable in words. I will try my hardest to articulate what he means to me, but sometimes silence says more.

Here I am. At a frisbee tournament, not entirely sure of the impact that meeting Adam would have on me. Through superficial conversation and various social gatherings, Adam's demeanor and individuality stood out. In my first impression he came to me with genuine conversation, eager to understand me and my life. Through our couple of weeks together, the realization of this gem of a man was in front of me.

Music is where we draw a lot of commonality. He puts an incredible amount of energy into his music and appreciates every moment of it. In our last few days in Boulder together, we recorded two songs together. Those two songs I draw on nearly daily for they remind me of synchronicity between two people. There his voice is whenever I need it. And it brings me comfort like little else does.

A beautifully eloquent man in his writings of letters and songs, Adam expresses want and hurt and love through his words. A fellow lover of solstices, he and I share more than just a longing for more sunlight in the day.

This man listens. At 3am when I call crying because I have had my heart divided, he is there for me. No questions asked. No thought in my mind that I am inconveniencing him. He has a power in my life that he doesn't even realize.

He is my sunrise. In the morning, there are people that I think of. People who have expanded me, enlightened me, humored me, taught me, and loved me. Adam is high on this list. He is someone who I will grow old with. I appreciate him every morning when I see the beautiful sun paint its light pink hue on the flatirons in Boulder. He is there with me as I am blinded by the sun glistening in the snow. He is my coming home.

He knows my heart and he understands my love of the day. He knows who he is, and teaches me every day to know myself more. For you Adam, I am grateful. Thank you for your undeniable friendship. You are a light in my life and I love you dearly. Keep your head toward the sun and follow it through the day. As the months pass, the sunlight will shine longer. And...always choose a room facing east.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Darling Greer, my heart is so excited for you. True friends are few and far between. Do I get to hear the recordings? I'm sure you sound like an angel!

Carly

P.s. I started a blog! http://gadflyrevolution.com And we should be blogging buddies cause that would rock my world. Miss your sweet face.