Tuesday, January 20, 2009

the day after


Yesterday. Jan 20, 2009 is the benchmark of change. On that morning, I ventured out to the sun kissed sidewalk of Pearl Street in Boulder, CO with tea in hand...not exactly aware of what I was about to witness.

As I walked into the local breakfast joint around 9am...there were only scatterings of people throughout some of the booths. I immediately found my friend and within 20 minutes, they were turning people away at the door. It was filled with optimistic and eager spirits, who were so adamant about embarking on this new chapter in the world's history.

Honestly as it began, I was filled with emotion. Sadness for George Bush over the last eight years, I felt for him yesterday. I can only imagine what is (AND ISN'T) going through his mind in these moments of transfer of the torch. His face seemed so old and weathered, as though the last eight years had really aged him.

I felt a sense of anxiety, there were worried clouds circling above me, for fear that extremists would act on their violent motivations...I was intimidated that because every branch of government was present and so many prominent faces in politics were convening that it would be cause for turmoil. Thankfully, I was wrong. But for the entirety of the procession, I was nervous.

Lastly, I was proud and eager. I was excited and encouraged. Barack and Michelle Obama carry power in their stride. He holds pride and reverence with him in his presentation. A man that I am truly proud to have in the seat of power. I appreciate so dearly his acceptance of the road ahead and is very realistic of what work lies ahead for all of us. He understands the severity of it, but it so appreciative for the opportunity to motivate change.

I love that the energy shifted the moment Barack was elected the next president. Everybody was starving for declarative and strategized movement. And the excitement was global. It was so profound and moving seeing the celebration on election day, and it rivaled the two million person, flag waving crowd at the inauguration.

I am presently proud. I am eager for change. I am aware of the road ahead, and am excited about stepping foot on the path toward a new horizon.

No comments: