Sunday, April 26, 2009

fear in my town


I received a phone call from my mother yesterday, a distant and lost voice on the other end terrified me as I was aimlessly moving through the noisy restaurant trying to find quiet. She told me the story leaving out most details because she was nearing the end of her day and knew that I was with friends.

She at first didn't want to share it with me, but then felt she must for she didn't want me to discover the news regarding the tragic deaths of Athens' finest through CNN. Turns out a UGA professor opened fire at one of the local theater houses and killed his wife and two others as his two daughters waited in the car, unknowing of what was happening.

On receiving the news, I discovered that this tragedy is different from the others that I have experienced over the last year. While each individual circumstance maintains significant sadness and unanswerable questions, none of them occurred in my valley. Athens for me has never been the scene of the crime, and now my native heart and the hearts of my fellow Athenians are heavy.

Now there are police officers on the search for a man who committed a crime out of illogical passion. He was able to end of the life of his wife and mother of his children, because he was feeling out of control. And what I hate more than anything, is that the people who take pride in safety are having to think twice about how secure they do feel.

It is unknowable why people act violently to try and fill such a deep void. But I do know that my protective nature over my town and those who live there is very strong right now. I am feeling for everyone in Athens and can't believe that our town is suffering.

No comments: