Saturday, April 18, 2009

a good lesson


As I'm sure all of you have already been introduced to Susan Boyle. Scottish vocalist extraordinare who has stunned the entire world with her magnificent talent. As I was sent yet another Youtube video, and clicking reluctantly on the link...I watched her walk up and probably had the exact same thoughts that everyone else had...

I found myself thinking...here is just another one of those aspiring singers who really has very little talent who is going to humor the world for three and a half minutes while the audience sits there quietly mocking. Additionally, I see a woman walk onto the stage, Susan Boyle who isn't particularly attractive, and she proceeds to explain to the three judges that she has wanted her entire life to be a professional singer but has never been given the chance.

I am now thinking...shocker. Here is a woman who is encroaching on 48 years old...who lives in a modest Scotland village with her cat Pebbles and who wants one day to be as famous as Elaine Paige. Immediately my judgment and assumptions about who she is and her level of talent overwhelm me, and I almost close down the internet window.

Until her voice came through. And I am telling you, it was one of the most incredible renditions of I Dreamed a Dream (already one of my favorite songs), and my heart was heavier after her performance. It was heavy for two reasons: that song has a potent and powerful way of reaching into my soul, and it made me understand and recognize my cynicism and judgmental nature.

I feel as though the entire world was given a wake up call that day. For Susan Boyle successfully stunned each and every person who witnessed her performance, and for the only reason of we all judged her appearance.

Myself included all categorized Susan Boyle into a category of mediocrity and yet underneath her appearance is a goddess. She is a truly humble woman who has a remarkable ear for song. She has enabled me to see clearly my own fallacies within the human experience.

I find myself thinking...how did I get to a point in my life where all it takes is a modest woman to walk on stage and express her aspirations for me to assume facets of her life, and assume her ability to perform? I don't think I was alone in my process.

And so here I thank Susan Boyle, for teaching me a powerful lesson. Looks do not at all predict the inner glory and beauty within a human being. Susan has forced me to look at my own struggles with making assumptions on others and for that I am grateful. We do ourselves the greatest disservice by proceeding through this life with the premise that we are better than others based on looks or any other superficial contribution.

Susan, I know you will shine. Thank you.

No comments: