Wednesday, April 15, 2009

a new discovered power


Something I have understood about the human is that we have this incredible super power that we don't even realize. It is a super power that only I have recently discovered and I am proud to say that I use it when I need to. And that is if any kind of negatively charged emotion comes to the fore front of our mind and body, we don't actually have to acknowledge and deal with it at that one moment.

Here is a concept to consider: create a container for all of those emotions. You can visualize any kind of container that you wish. It really isn't anything but a space of your own to place those emotions whenever they rear their heads. And it is an opportunity for you to exercise your own power and in having control over them.

We have an impression that these emotions are so powerful and have a grip over us that we can't fathom, and honestly it is the opposite. We are the head of our own ships, and we have the ability to let in what we wish.

This thought is empowering for me. So one of my dearest friends of all time, and I have only recently met her since I started attending Naropa told me about her own container. And she visualizes a honey jar. Now any time an emotion that she doesn't want around (loneliness, sadness, anxiety) visits her, she places it in her honey jar. So that when it enters the honey jar, it gets stuck to the honey. And this exercise isn't an opportunity to throw it away and turn your back on it, it is an opportunity to give yourself a break.

I don't feel it is beneficial to turn your break on those emotions, for each one of them is an excellent teacher. I feel like when I am in those states of fear of my own emotions, I learn the most about who I am. I learn my strength and my weakness, I see my own abilities and fallacies. They are excellent about opening our eyes to our inner being.

Therefore, create a container. Allow yourself a break, and revisit those emotions when you feel you are ready. Because so much of the time they come when we don't expect them, and very rarely at those times do we feel equipped with adequate resources to tackle them. So...in essence, pull them out of the honey jar when you have rallied your team together and are ready to press forward and handle them authentically.

1 comment:

dan.j.michels said...

love the honey jar idea! it reminds me of winnie the pooh which makes me happy. but visualizing a container is a great idea. i find it helps to make a conscious intention to encounter and process, deal with or have any kind of relationship to my emotions. as soon as i start to have a relationship to it, it ceases to be unconscious, it ceases to control me and not only can i excercise a bit more control of myself but i also understand myself a little bit more. xo