Friday, June 6, 2008

how do you define faith?


I have been asked a version of this question so many times...How do I define faith? Do I have faith?

Here are my answers to question 1 and 2. 1) Faith to me is hope. Faith is the reliance I have on my world, my day, my family, my community. Each of these categories hold faith differently for me. For my world, I rely on it to be my classroom so I can learn. I depend on its bounty and beauty. I lean on the knowledge that every day, I will wake up and the world will be there for me to explore it. I depend on my day to be filled with lessons. I absolutely rely on my family to be my support and on my community to embrace me with the warmth of comfort. 2) There are moments in my life where I feel as though my faith dwindles. When life bears its demons, my faith sometimes falters but only for a brief period of time. Because of recent occurrences, I have gained the foresight to realize one simple fact: there is so much more good than bad. That in and of itself is reason for me to know that my faith overpowers the rough seas.

Faith isn't embedded in religion only, however I feel as though the two are deeply interconnected. Since I am not a devout Christian, faith takes on a completely new meaning. Me not being religious doesn't mean that I don't embrace spirituality. I find an innate comfort in the world of scripture and in the depth of song.

So the lesson for today is this...answer these two questions: how do you define faith? Do you have faith? They will open up a door into yourself and will allow you to uncover some of the layers to who you are at the core.

1 comment:

dane said...

i define faith as the freedom to choose. I think when we lose faith we forgotten that we can choose to transcend fate. Having faith is having strength of spirit. In other words , surviving .