Friday, June 27, 2008

what place does money hold?


This blog was written with a slight amount of preoccupation. There has been much going on in my life outside of my blog with personal and work related issues. So if this entry appears mundane, confusing, superficial, I apologize before hand. My mind is in the clouds!

God isn't this a lesson. So for me here, ever since being detached from dad (well for the most part), I have realized that I have kind of a twisted relationship with money. Well, in the eyes of most Americans who are consumed with debt, they would probably admire my system, but for me...I don't know.

Ever since I really became my own source of income and spending, I have found that money actually does play a huge part in life. I am in this in between with so many thoughts circling my head on this topic. There are the constant questions and statements such as: it's only money, can I actually go on this trip, how much should I be saving a month, should I be working a full time job instead of three part time, what about benefits, can I go to that movie I've been dying to see...they are just endless. And I actually have found myself missing out on some cool opportunities because I couldn't validate the money being worth the experience. Is that life?

As with everything, do it in moderation. Have a balance. Do the things you love, take on new challenges and experiences, make sure that you say YES! to the things that matter to you, but also realize that you have boundaries. It is a double edged sword, but there is a time to spend and a time to save.

Ever since I have moved to Boulder, I feel as though I have been depriving myself from a financial standpoint. I do say no to things because I don't know if I can really afford it. When...I can! That is the thing, is I know I can. But on the other end, as a defense, it is my hard earned money and I know what I want to splurge on. But still...there are the ever present questions that circle...Yes it is only money, but money does get you security, it gets you a comfortable lifestyle, it gets you food, some of the essentials of survival.

So where is the line drawn? I feel like each person's line is going to be individual. But the main lesson here is this: when you are detached from your parents financially, your life as you knew it monetarily is going to change somewhat. Sacrifices are going to be made, challenges faced, and decisions belabored. So make those sacrifices, face the challenges and belabor the decisions that are relevant to your life and the kind of life that you want to have. Be smart.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The most important line to be drawn is also the most simple one. Spend less than you earn and put away 10% of your income into savings and investments. So simple, but yet so many miss this one.

If you are doing these two things, then you don't have to worry about whether or not you can do something or whether or not you should spend the money. If you have the money (and of course you are paying your bills, heh), then go for it. Guilt-free, too, to boot.

Dad said...

Greer; listen to your big brother.

Dad