Saturday, July 26, 2008

a baby boy with 15 mothers


I have spent the last two days in Los Angeles visiting my friend Katherine Arnold Wolf who has recently undergone a devastating brain injury. Such an assault to quite a beautiful angel. I sit here on the floor of her mother's apartment, which is adorned with pictures of her three darling girls. I am able to see through these photos how they have grown from young children into stunning women. Each room breathes Kim Arnold. She is a classic Southern mother who is devoting her life and soul to the recovery of her first born, and I feel honored to spend these few nights in the space where she resides. She in fact has kept a blog as a method of coping. Her blog is a portal for her grieving and her thoughts, her frustrations and questions. Her baby boy James has been pampered endlessly by the many women surrounding Katherine and her recovery.

I came on this trip with such vague expectations. I didn't know whether or not I was going to be terrified, saddened, overwhelmed, anxious, etc. I just didn't know. Instead, I have been overjoyed, consumed by love, helpful, spiritual, contemplative and happy.

All of the negativity I anticipated surrendering to has been completely sidelined by glory. On this beautiful Saturday, I accompanied my darling friend Katherine from the confines of her UCLA Medical Center bedroom out into the bountiful sunshine of California. We were allowed to walk the 3 blocks to the apartments of her family and her husband's family. I walked by Katherine's side as she was pushed in her wheelchair through the busy streets of Sunset Blvd only to be greeted by a surprised and ecstatic audience. It was the most uplifting visit of my life. She was social, she was engaged, she was the vibrant and vivacious woman that I have remembered from my life in Athens.

Katherine in the last three days has taught me numerous lessons. She has enabled me to understand a true fighter. Someone so elegant in her poise and so beautiful in her motion but so fierce under the surface. She exudes courage. She is subtly comedic and appropriately thankful. She will never give up, even as she stared death in the face and rose above. Not only has she risen above, but she continues to rise. With each passing day, she makes progress. She has taught me that there is no one to say what should or shouldn't happen in this life. She has defied all odds, and overwhelmed all doubts. She is the ultimate hero.

No comments: