Friday, July 18, 2008

letting life take the lead.


So I've started doing some babysitting for this little four year old girl (who is incredible), and her mother who is a massage therapist trades me babysitting hours for massages. Um. Thank you God. So I went over last night to take part in the introductions (which are huge in Boulder). The families are really into having me interact with the child for an hour or so while I chat with the parents, so they can feel comfortable that it is a good fit. More power to them. So I am sitting with this mother daughter duo, who have made so much of their life together. They are constant companions and the daughter, Aurora is this bright, vibrant, and very interested child, who is so eager to learn about the world and people around her.

So after going through the tooth brushing, story reading, water drinking, bedtime routine, I got into a pretty intense conversation with the mother as she was giving me a "massage sampler." I fell asleep toward the end. But needless to say before that happened, we started talking about our different lives, and the path she had been on, and how over the years she began describing the lesson of allowing life to present a path to her. She began talking about how she finally was able to let herself into her intuition and respect it.

I told her that I feel that many people need to learn to be led by life and not try so hard to lead it themselves. So many people in our world today are starved for some sense of control and power, that they try to overwhelm life through the own might. She had been shown many things in her life, and it wasn't until she was pregnant that she was able to see the paths and people that life was placing in front of her.

In my own personal life, I shared with her my battle with nursing. I let her into my need for control and how it took months for me to let go of my tight grip on the reigns. I told her that I took my nursing board 4 times. 4 TIMES before I was able to appreciate that maybe this was life's way of putting a barrier in front of me, saying that nursing probably isn't the best choice, that there are other things out there better suited for me. But I didn't listen until the 4th time and before that point I was determined to "overwhelm the test with hard work."

Lesson 40 billion: instead of trying to dictate life's course for you, why don't you let life take the lead. Let life present you with new challenges and new experiences. The signs are right in front of you and always have been, it is just a matter of you tapping into them, paying attention to them, and acknowledging them for their importance. There will be deviations in your path, this miracle called life wasn't meant to be seamless, but know that you are being directed in ways that will show you new light and expand you to new horizons.

1 comment:

dane said...

couldn't agree more . When we stop fighting the current we make much faster headway .